Let me start by saying I embrace my nerdiness and pretty much always have. I have a twin & she & I were born opposites. As we grew, it was clear that she was the outgoing sporty twin; I was the painfully shy, bookish twin. So shy was I that I almost didn’t get to start kindergarten with my sister. They thought I might meed another year to mature socially. Fortunately, I loved school & did very well. In fact, school helped me overcome my shyness and gave me a confidence I lacked. This explains my decision in high school to join the Reach for the top team.
I bring all this up because of The reluctant Journal of Henry K. Larsen by Susin Neilsen.
Henry’s brother was bullied, snapped and committed a terrible crime. Henry begins high school at a school where no one knows who he is and reluctantly joins their Reach for the Top team. This is an awesome book you should read.
So, I got to thinking about other books I love that deal with nerds and bullies. here are a few:
1. Everybody Sees the Ants by A. S. King (Bullies)
2. The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg (Nerds)
3. The Hate List by Jennifer Brown (Bullies)
4. Howay for Wodney Wat by Helen Lester (Bullies & Nerds)
5. Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt (Bullies)
6. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (Nerds)
7. The Cardturner by Louis Sachar (Nerds)
8. The Fingers of Duncan Dorfman by Meg Wolitzer
Which titles would you add?