Plan B

23 Apr

This morning I should be on a bus, headed to outdoor school for four days and three nights. The sixth graders from the other three halls in my building are going. Alas, Green Hall is staying behind.

Two Saturdays ago we got a text saying the main lodge at the camp we were supposed to attend had burned to the ground.  Most of last week was spent waiting to find out if we could go to another camp this week or if we’d go a different week. The kids had tones of questions.

If we don’t go this year, can we go as seventh graders?

When will they tell us?

What happens at school if we don’t go?

If we don’t go to Outdoor School, do we still have to come to school?

Their agony was ended Thursday when we were – finally – told we would not go the same week as the other sixth graders, we’d go June 4-7, the second last week of school.

Action and consequence. The kids were relieved, but the teachers and admins started scrambling. Schedules had to be created for a rotation through Specialists. My team decided that we’d toss out the schedule on Wednesday and have kids rotate through camp like activities and have a picnic lunch outside along with a massive game of Capture the flag. It won’t be quite the same, but it will be a good placeholder until the real this comes around.



8 Responses to “Plan B”

  1. arjeha April 23, 2019 at 9:17 am #

    Just shows how flexible teachers can and need to be. I guess the upside is that by that time in June many students are finished< at least in their minds, with book and classroom learning so this will be a good time to keep them active and involved.

  2. Stacey Shubitz April 23, 2019 at 9:37 am #

    At least you’ll get to go in June! Good luck making all of the new plans and coordinating all of the schedules.

  3. learn_thru_it April 23, 2019 at 10:47 am #

    I can’t believe the lodge burned down! What a bummer! Oh well, a giant capture the flag game sounds great though!

  4. Diane Cherry April 23, 2019 at 11:50 am #

    Are you relieved or not so much (chance of better weather vs having to change plans (Lucy) and going just before school gets out? 🤔

    Sent from Diane’s iPhone


  5. Lisa Corbett April 23, 2019 at 6:23 pm #

    What a disappointment to have to change the trip! I would be with the kids, having 1 million questions about what was going to happen. Glad you get to make it up another time, and hope they think it is worth the

  6. natashadomina April 23, 2019 at 6:32 pm #

    Wow! What a big difference in plans for this week! Hope it turns out to be a fun adventure with the students (now and in June).

  7. JudyK /J Koval April 23, 2019 at 7:36 pm #

    Wow, that’s a tough situation, but I’m glad that you’ll be able to go eventually! I hope you have fun with your alternative activities! ~JudyK 🙂

  8. Brian Rozinsky April 23, 2019 at 7:56 pm #

    I suspect you may be farther down the alphabet in your list of plans, or you’ll soon be. All the best as you roll with the unexpected.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: